What Our Students Have Been Asking
Maximizing practical training is over 90% for both of our Programs. Basic: Theory and Blue Print Reading classroom time is less than 10% of total program hours and includes health and safety for welders.
- ARC welding on plate and pipe
- MIG welding on plate and pipe
- TIG welding on plate and pipe
Can-Weld offers a free trial. The trial is about an hour long including time to talk to our manager about your career goals.
Unlike high school shop classes, there is no sharing of equipment or welding booth, hence you will be able to maximize your time welding.
Can-Weld offers continuous intake of students depending on having an available welding booth. Under most circumstances, you will not have long to wait, 1-2 weeks, as students are starting and completing at different times for any given week.
Can-Weld operates year round. No stopping through summer months (July/Aug) as we offer continuous intake and no waiting for September or January like in a traditional public college or university setting.
All steel workpieces used in the welding booth (i.e., coupons) are created by staff and are ready for students every day.
Can-Weld offers two sides to their service:
- a registered private career training centre and
- as a certification centre. Students will challenge their welding certification here at Can-Weld throughout their training at the same facility.
Testing is done throughout program for plate certification with Canadian Welding Bureau (CWB) which is held 6-8 times per year.
Pipe certification is just prior to end-date when individual is ready to test with TSSA (Technical Standards & Safety Authority).
Ratio is one instructor per maximum number of 12 students/individuals (1:12).
- FULL PROGRAM – 720 hours; 32 weeks
- GENERAL PROGRAM – 530 hours; 24 weeks
Tuition can vary depending on the welding program or customization that you decide to take. Because every individual’s experience is personal, customization is a big factor and we will answer specific tuition cost at the time of your first/informational visit to Can-Weld.
- There is a non-refundable $100 registration fee.
- Professional welding certification fees is essential in the workforce, therefore cost is an addition to our training but always included with Can-Weld quotes. Certification cost will range anywhere between $200 to $2,500.
- There is a $200 cost for our complete set of six (6) training manuals, including exams.
- Due to health and safety concerns, a student will need to have complete welding attire before they can start. This includes a welding shield, jacket, gloves, ear plugs and safety glasses. This is known as your PPE (Personal Protective Equipment). Can-Weld has a great PPE kit for $400.
- In addition, to acquiring your PPE supplies, a student will need to have CSA approved over-the-ankle steel toe work boots and purchased separately.
- The Ministry of Colleges & Universities (M.C.U.)
- Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB)
- Company Programs for Employee Training
- Aboriginal Band Employment Training
Can-Weld is registered with the Provincial government and certified with the Federal government as a Private Career College and can issue a tax receipt (T2202A). T2202A slips are issued by the last date of February each year, for the previous calendar year.
Upon completion of your program, you will have an Exit Interview with the manager and you will receive your certificates to date (unpaid balances on your account must be settled before tickets are issued). A diploma (70% or greater) or certificate will be sent to you along with your transcript within 60 days of completion.
Companies/Unions may request aptitude testing with new hires, also to help you prepare, Can-Weld offers math & science upgrading on site in the afternoon. Even those with a diploma are welcomed to refresh their math and prepare for a company aptitude testing.
Companies and unions contact Can-Weld on a regular basis looking to hire our recent graduates as our training promotes the inclusion CWB and/or TSSA certification. In addition, the Can-Weld team works with our students on resume preparation at no charge.